Work to build safe and strong urban and rural communities
Lead an organization mandated to work with local governments and partners across Ontario to build safe and strong urban and rural communities with:
· dynamic local economies
· a high quality of life for residents, and
· homes that meet people’s diverse needs
The ministry develops and administers policies and programs in support of:
· economic development, municipal administration, governance and finance
· municipal, land use planning
· growth management
· building regulation
· community and market housing
The ministry also administers disaster/emergency financial assistance to eligible communities and individuals.
As the Deputy Minister, you will operationalize several recent policy and legislative changes and drive transformation to advance the ministry’s policy and program goals. You will work with 444 municipalities and other stakeholders to support strong and collaborative provincial-municipal relationships.
If you are strategic, authentic, and a transformational leader, we’re looking for you.
What can I expect in this role?
As a trusted advisor you will support the Minister and Minister’s office and work closely with the most senior levels of government and multiple municipal partners and stakeholders to deliver the ministry’s mandate.
As the most senior public servant in the ministry, you will report to the Secretary of the Cabinet who is the Head of the Ontario Public Service.
This is your opportunity to have significant impact and influence stakeholders, colleagues and decision-makers pertaining on issues affecting municipalities.
In this critical role you will:
· Be responsive: by addressing changing needs and directions quickly, providing timely and high-quality advice and support
· Establish partnerships: by actively working within and across internal boundaries, hierarchies and mandates, as well as with external partners and stakeholders
· Drive operational efficiency and innovation: by providing leadership in transformation, creative problem-solving and fiscal responsibility
· Model inspirational and inclusive leadership: by inspiring each person to be inclusive in their work, incorporating diverse perspectives and ensuring accessibility and by inviting and responding to different perspectives from a place of curiosity and non-judgement
· Champion service excellence: by leading the provision of first-rate solutions to client-specific needs and strengthening collaboration
How do I qualify?
Inspirational and Inclusive Leader
· You have provided strong senior executive leadership in large and complex organizations working with senior executives, committees and governing bodies
· You are a proven and resilient change leader who understands the needs of communities across the province
· You have fostered organizational cultures that bring together people of different identities, abilities, races, backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, skills, and generations in the workplace
· You have inspired high performing teams, promoted excellence, delivered results and managed risks in challenging environments
· You have a proven ability to build and sustain collaborative relationships with stakeholders across government sectors, other jurisdictions and the private sector
· You have excellent interpersonal skills and experience dealing positively with others, including in highly stressful situations
· You have or could quickly establish credibility with municipal partners and other key stakeholders
· You have in-depth executive experience with policy and program development, strategic planning, financial and resource management
· You have sound knowledge of government decision making processes with a distinguished record of relevant public sector, private sector or combined accomplishments
· You are a sophisticated communicator with the ability to engage in complex stakeholder negotiations and influence others
· You can anticipate opportunities, issues and trends and provide advice to establish policies, programs and priorities that meet the expectations of various stakeholders
· You have exceptional communication and advisory skills to provide the Secretary of the Cabinet, the Minister and the Premier’s Office with candid, non-partisan advice within a relationship of trust, good judgement and discretion
· You have political acuity to anticipate and respond to complex and sensitive situations
· You have flexibility and resilience to adapt in a changing environment
Security Clearance Requirement:
· If you are the successful candidate, you must successfully complete an Ontario Provincial Police security screening check