Milton is a dynamic, modern and innovative urban centre with a growing population of 130,000. As one of the fastest-growing municipalities in Canada, the Town of Milton represents a thriving blend of old and new, urban and rural, all nestled within the scenic Niagara Escarpment. Together, Town Council and staff are working towards building a strong, healthy, and sustainable Milton, where collaboration, communication, and innovation are valued and encouraged.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) this position provides leadership in the development of strategies or initiatives that advance corporate priorities. This role will oversee a wide range of projects driven by the Council Staff work plan and other areas identified as priorities of the municipality. The Director, Strategic Initiatives and Business Development provides advice and support to the CAO and the Strategic Management Team (SMT) in the resolution of a wide range of corporate matters. This position is an active member of SMT.
The Director, Strategic Initiatives and Business Development is accountable for the planning and implementation and coordination of the corporate priorities identified in the approved Council Staff work plan and progress reporting for strategies including but not limited to: customer service, modernization of services, economic development, and sustainability (i.e. environmental and financial).
Major Job Responsibilities
Business Development and Strategy - with a focus on corporate accountability and measurable performance outcomes
• Facilitates and coordinates the business planning process, including organizing Council business planning sessions to lead the development of Council priorities, SMT strategic planning, and assisting the CAO by monitoring key activities, department performance and reporting.
• Analyzes and recommends business strategies, potential actions and alternative solutions to the CAO and SMT.
• Coordinates and tracks progress of corporate strategy projects driving results in the all priority areas identified in the approved Council Staff work plan.
• Measures performance using associated corporate strategy KPIs to maximize effectiveness in delivering business and project outcomes in alignment with the overall corporate priorities.
• Promote individual, team and corporate accountability through leadership and coaching in the advancement of corporate priorities with a focus on maximizing organizational performance and continuous improvement.
• Assists leadership teams and acts as a change agent in developing different perspectives and possibilities, and challenges ideas to foster an environment of innovation, accountability and continuous improvement.
• Provides objective analysis and advice to SMT on key corporate matters where the organization has a clearly defined interest.
• Provides business support to the CAO through briefings and related materials.
• Proactively identifies corporate issues/problems, acts on and recommends innovative solutions based on an analysis of issues and impacts on the organization.
• Coordinates the activities of divisions across the corporation to ensure a consistent approach towards a common project or problem.
• Acts as a trusted advisor to the CAO and senior leaders in decision making and implementing strategic initiatives.
• Follows up and reports on progress of Council directives, strategic initiatives and projects, ensuring they are effectively moving forward and identifying opportunities to improve the effectiveness of such, as required.
• Support SMT in the promotion of open communication, positive and respectful working relationships and enhanced departmental collaboration by identifying solutions to advance the facilitation of ideas and flow of information between departments and divisions.
• Responds to Council inquiries/concerns and manages competing interests and priorities with a high degree of political acuity.
• Provides leadership and direction to Economic Development and MEV Innovation Centre teams and oversees divisional capital and operating budgets
• Defines, implements and evaluates policies and procedures
• Reports to council on significant achievements and results
• Represents the Office of the CAO, observing & participating on committees, task forces, community forums, fostering positive working relationships within and outside the organization, and identifying new opportunities for partnership or collective action on common objectives/initiatives.
• Serves as the Chair of the Leadership Management Team and liaison to the SMT, coordinating the activities of the LMT to enhance coordination, corporate performance, and professional development.
• Acts as a resource to the CAO and SMT to review and identify any issues/problems or misalignment of corporate objectives and cross-departmental/ external consultation needs, and to identify potential actions and alternative solutions.
Education and Experience
• Post-secondary degree, preferably in Public Administration, Political Science, Business or other related discipline
• Ten (10) years of progressive municipal experience, including experience working directly with and providing strategic advice and input to senior-level staff, politicians and other levels of government is required
• Proven experience successfully leading innovation and the process of creating, implementing, monitoring and evaluating corporate strategic plans and initiatives with proven results
• A combination of private and public sector experience is preferred
• Experience leading or working closely with economic development, the business community or related organizations is an asset
• Certified Municipal Officer (CMO) preferred
• Knowledge of techniques and approaches to strategic planning
• Effective report writing, presentation and public relations skills
• Demonstrated strong solution-oriented leadership and strategic communications skills, project management, political acuity, diplomacy and well developed judgment when dealing with sensitive matters
• Effective facilitation, influencing and negotiation skills
• Proven ability to integrate internal and external resources to position successful outcomes
• Exceptional relationship building and conflict resolution skills
• Proven ability to source and analyze data to solve complex issues
• Knowledge of the Municipal Act, Planning Act and other legislation affecting municipalities preferred
Salary Range: $147,334 - $184,169