The City of Moncton prides itself on being a welcoming community and one of the best places in Canada to work and play. A diverse business environment, with growing multicultural roots, Moncton is committed to bilingualism and providing the best quality of life for its residents. The City of Moncton is now in search of a General Manager, Community Services, to continue to support the community and all it has to offer and making it a City that inspires.
This key position is responsible for community focused services that have a vast impact on quality of life and social inclusion. You and your team will work to deeply understand the needs of the community and ensure programming and policies meets those needs.
As the General Manager, Community Services, you are accountable for the effective leadership, organization, and execution of all functions within the Community Services area. You provide advice to Council and its committees via the City Manager and fulfill all statutory duties regarding Community Services. Leadership, collaboration, continuous operational improvements, effective oversight of resources, along with integrated policies are the cornerstones of this position.
Reporting directly to the City Manager as a key member of the City’s Leadership Team, you will provide advice and support on corporate decision making. To be successful in doing so you’ll need to understand the goals of a variety of community groups, the social issues that impact Moncton’s citizens, and how your team can work together to have a positive community impact. Service delivery areas under your purview will include By-Law Enforcement Services, Fire Services, Recreation Tourism and Events, Culture and Heritage, and Social Inclusion.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Leading and directing the strategic overall management, administration, and coordination of the following service areas: By-Law Enforcement Services, Fire Services, Recreation Tourism and Events, Culture and Heritage, and Social Inclusion
- Aligning operational functions to enable execution of the City’s strategy and delivering exceptional client service
- Establishing clear short and long-term goals and objectives for the service area that are aligned with organizational strategy and ensuring objectives are achieved
- Providing advice on projects and initiatives impacting the City of Moncton
- Leading and managing the Directors and Managers who plan, organize, and manage departmental programs and projects
- Managing the performance of employees who report directly to this position through coaching, mentoring, evaluating, and identifying needs for training and development
- Preparing, administering, and being accountable for the operating and capital budgets for all service area activities
- Facilitating effective communications between departments, leadership, and City Council
- Addressing inquiries, requests, and complaints as per established expectations
As the successful candidate, you are a leader who is passionate about providing exceptional service to the public and you thrive in a public facing role. You understand the importance of municipal work and are able to offer your guidance on opportunities and efficiencies to a wide variety of audiences. With at least 10 years of experience in leadership and administration, you have held senior roles leading and managing people and dealing with a variety of services areas which helps you to strike a balance between enforcement and social issues. A strong facilitator, you are known for building successful relationships with a variety of stakeholder groups which will allow you to excel in a municipal environment.
Your qualifications include:
In this role you will have the ability to make a direct impact on the quality of life of Moncton’s residents and engage with the community to identify and implement actionable solutions for a variety of issues. It is an exciting time to be in Moncton, with its growing economy (one of the fastest growing regions in the country) and central location, you are never far from great entertainment, recreation, and immersive cultural experiences. This is an excellent opportunity to work with a team focused on providing exceptional service delivery to Moncton’s residents
- Ten (10) years of leadership experience with relevant experience to this position and at least five (5) years of experience in a senior role managing people
- University graduate with a Degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Public Administration, Arts or other related disciplines and/or equivalency.
- Experience working with elected officials and working with a large diverse workforce in unionized and non-unionized environments
- Demonstrated experience leading transformational change and utilizing a systems thinking approach to improve effectiveness and make recommendations on areas to be improved
- Experience working and demonstrating strong judgement in a political environment is an asset
- Ability to communicate effectively in both languages (oral; English and French) is a definite asset
- Excellent presentation, communication, negotiation, and organizational skills
- A demonstrated ability to manage by objectives and for results
- Ability to develop solutions to complex problems
- Capable of team building, consensus building, motivating with strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain a team environment
- Skilled in strategic analysis, planning, leadership, and implementation
- Ability to effectively utilize various administrative programs (Microsoft Office)
- Must have and maintain a valid Class 5 New Brunswick driver’s license