As a leading Canadian organization concerned with the advancement of the theory and practice of public administration, IPAC is currently seeking a dynamic individual to take on the permanent, full time role of Director of Research & Outreach. The Director of Research and Outreach contributes to the overall success of the organization by aligning the activities of the Research and Outreach unit to the strategic vision of the Institute. They have a strong strategic focus and the ability to manage internal resources and external stakeholders/partners by creating mutually beneficial relationships.
This position is responsible for developing and implementing IPAC’s research strategy, maintaining and enhancing the value proposition of its knowledge creation and diffusion approach. The successful candidate should have a publication record relevant to the IPAC mandate and, ideally, experience in managing a publication focused on public administration practitioners.
A self-starter and team player, the Director of Research and Outreach is comfortable and experienced in building bridges among diverse communities and stakeholders and in innovating organizational processes.
The position of Director of Research and Outreach is a dynamic and evolving one, which will best suit a candidate with the ability to multitask and the propensity to anticipate and respond rapidly to emerging priorities in the public management space. Its duties broadly fall within four areas: management, research, outreach, and direct delivery of IPAC’s programs. The position includes domestic and international travel as required by the Director’s duties.
• Manages the IPAC team for events, membership and partnership
• Contributes to the strategic direction of the Institute with the CEO, Director of Domestic and International Programs, and the Director of Finance
• Manages the financial dimensions of Research and Outreach in cooperation with the Director of Finance
• Supports the work of the Chair of the Research and Professional Practices Committee and of the Board of Directors in the areas of research, outreach and program delivery.
• Develops and implements IPAC’s research strategy, aligning it with the Institute’s long-term vision
• Maintains and improves relations with academic stakeholders both at the association level and with individual Schools and Departments
• Leads a robust publication effort for the Institute, personally contributing to it through both academic and non-academic publications and sustaining the knowledge diffusion of the Institute
• Engages in teaching within the Institute’s training activity when required
• Takes a proactive and entrepreneurial approach to developing external funding sources for research initiatives
• Manages and enhances the relationship between IPAC National and its Regional Groups
• Manages and enhances the relationship between IPAC National and its private sector sponsors
• Develops sustained and robust relationships with stakeholders within all levels of the Canadian public service community that align the needs of these communities with the strategic vision of the Institute
• Develops and maintains excellent relationships with thought leaders and innovators in the academic, private, NGO, and public sector that can collaborate with IPAC within the scope of its activities
• Supports the Regional Groups in expanding the individual membership of the Institute and oversees IPAC National’s effort to enhance the value proposition and reach of its Institutional Partnerships
• Supports the efforts of the Senior Public Servant in Residence on Indigenous Issues in all areas linked to research and outreach
• Leads the Institute`s awards and recognition initiatives
• Oversees the social media and communication strategy of the Institute
• Provides critical input in developing the program content for IPAC’s major events (Annual Conference, Leadership Conference, Public Sector Ethics Conference) and training products (i.e., study tours, training sessions)
• Increases the value-proposition for members in terms of knowledge and learning products (i.e., webinars, reports, blog posts, social media)
• Supports the African Leaders of Tomorrow program by managing the relationship between students and mentors
• Supports the public sector ethics programming of the Institute
• Supports, when necessary, the development of responses to Requests for Proposals by the other units in the Institute
A post-graduate degree in political science, public administration, or a related field is a decided asset. The candidate should have an excellent extant network within the Public Administration/Public Policy academic community and should have several years’ experience working in the public sector, ideally in an advisory role on public policy and/or public administration. They should demonstrate an understanding of the activities and priorities of a membership-based organization like IPAC.
The successful candidate should have expertise in knowledge creation and thought leadership, ideally with a focus on public management knowledge that is relevant to public servants. Their publication record should be appropriate to their career stage.
The ability to work in both official languages is an asset.
The position will require an innovative thinker who can will thrive in communicating, maintaining and developing relationships with multiple stakeholders and be comfortable in interacting strategically with senior executives. The incumbent is entrusted with considerable latitude in the delivery of the strategic goals of the Institute as part of a team and so an approach that focuses on being detail oriented and sensitive to various perspectives is fundamental.
The Director of Research and Outreach is directly accountable to the CEO of the Institute and has broad collegial accountability with the other members of the management team. Furthermore, the position is accountable to various stakeholders such as the IPAC Regional Groups, private sector partners, and CAPPA.
For more information about about our organization, please visit the website www.ipac.ca.
Salary commensurate with experience and we offer a generous benefit package.