Chief Information Officer – Various Ministries
Transformational, Strategic, Collaborative and Inclusive Leader
Trusted Advisor and Business Partner
People matter most to us. Through creating policies, administering programs, and delivering services, the Ontario Public Service (OPS) contributes to making Ontario better and improving millions of lives each and every day.
The Information & Information Technology (I+IT) organization in the OPS enables the delivery of improved outcomes for Ontarians through adopting modern technology, leveraging emerging best practices, growing talent, and partnering with Ministries.
If you are a transformational leader with a passion for achieving business outcomes in a digital world and supporting ongoing government transformation through innovative technologies, the Chief Information Officer (CIO) role may just be the right fit for you. Consider joining the I+IT executive leadership community and help shape Ontario’s future!
The ideal candidate will have:
• Extensive and varied executive leadership experience in complex multi-stakeholder environments
• Strengths in leading complex IT programs, operations, and/or public policy development in a large organization with the ability to influence innovative outcomes
• Been recognized for promoting a partnering culture and working effectively with stakeholders on initiatives in dynamic environments
• A reputation for empowering teams and capacity for facilitating change that supports success
• Current opportunities are available in the:
Children, Youth, and Social Services I&IT Cluster in the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services and
Justice Technology Services in the Ministry of the Solicitor General and Ministry of the Attorney General
• This competition may be used to develop a talent pipeline to fill CIO vacancies for the next 24 months
• Directions for the format of applications are provided below under Additional Information – only those applications following these directions will be considered
What can I expect in this role?
Chief Information Officers contribute to the government’s strategic agenda by providing the best possible I&IT advice for decision-making; implementing policies, plans, and strategies; and collaborating across ministries on government’s priorities to achieve results. As part of the executive leadership team, they:
• create and inspire a shared vision that is aligned with overall enterprise strategies and business values;
• develop, coordinate, and communicate overarching government priorities;
• build and manage the most senior-level business relationships with key stakeholders;
• generate and lead organizational transformation and change;
• invest in developing people individually and collectively; and
• ensure the integrated delivery of programs and services is in the best interests of Ontarians.
In the OPS, CIOs can be responsible for any of the following broad sectors:
• Central Agencies
• Children, Youth, and Social Services
• Community Services, including Education; Municipal Affairs; Housing; Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries; and Colleges and Universities
• Government Integration
• Land and Resources
How do I qualify?
• You are a strategic, innovative and visionary leader with proven ability to develop business strategies and lead major I&IT initiatives at the executive level within an evolving and complex environment.
• You have demonstrated senior executive experience in leading business and IT transformation and shaping I&IT for a large organization.
• You have demonstrated success in building, leading, and engaging diverse, high-performance teams to achieve challenging objectives.
• You have a reputation of being open, transparent and effective in building a positive team environment and fostering a culture of excellence, diversity, inclusion and equity.
• You possess I&IT knowledge to provide the vision and shape the overall design of the cluster-wide high-level strategy and to ensure integration with enterprise and related strategies and priorities.
• You have experience in conceptualizing strategic opportunities, defining and shaping I&IT priorities, providing strategic advice and direction, and utilizing decision-making processes to drive change and manage major issues and risks.
• You have delivered new modern technology in the I&IT space and are aware of what is new and upcoming for technology solutions.
• You have astute business acumen, integrity and self-awareness to provide executive direction and oversight for I&IT activities and services.
• You have sound knowledge and expertise in I&IT strategic and operational planning, and technical competence in the areas of I&IT project management, systems development, continuous improvement, performance management and metrics, and I&IT service delivery.
Stakeholder and Relationship Management
• You have the ability to provide influential strategic business and I&IT advice and generate active support from the most senior-level executives in stakeholder, client, partner, and service provider organizations.
• You are recognized for your ability to build collaborative relationships; engage, cultivate, and sustain effective horizontal working relationships; and influence decisions that impact a large internal and external stakeholder base.
• You are skilled at providing advice and briefings regarding issues to senior executives.
• You foster a collaborative work environment that promotes and facilitates transparency and accountability.
• You are a polished, seasoned communicator and negotiator, effective problem-solver and consensus builder.
Judgement, Tact and Political Acuity
• You have a high level of political acuity to anticipate, and respond to, politically sensitive situations.
• You have flexibility and are open to new ideas that adapt to a changing environment.
• You have a thorough understanding of the sectoral marketplace, political issues and organizational impacts.
Why join the OPS?
• work that makes an impact
• learning and development opportunities
• an open and inclusive work environment
• health and dental benefits
• a defined benefits pension plan
• generous vacation
We will help you achieve your goals through continuous learning, professional leadership development, and support.
• In your cover letter, please answer the following question:
o What is the biggest business impact you have made in leading transformation and how did you utilize technology to enable this transformation?
o Please be very specific about the context, what you did, how you utilized technology, and what results you achieved.
• Limit your response to no more than 600 words
• Please structure your resume to directly address the qualifications listed under How do I qualify?