The Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development is the Province’s agency responsible for land and resource management in B.C., which includes the protection of the Province’s archaeological and heritage resources.
The Director, Strategic Initiatives serves regional and provincial priorities and goals and provincial initiatives, and develops and maintains a broad network of strategic and business leadership relationships across the Natural Resource sector agencies to communicate/collaborate project objectives and progress, and promote successful delivery of the priorities and goals of the Ministry. Through this function, the role leads and contributes to strategies associated with the natural resource sector shift to the One Provincial Land and Resource Manager promoting economic and environmental sustainability. This position serves as a strategic liaison into non-government organizations, industry associations, First Nations’ organizations, and federal and municipal governments. In addition, the Director coordinates on initiatives that cut across resource sectors.
This position requires excellent problem solving, communication and change management skills with the ability to exercise a high degree of judgement in a situation of significant uncertainty associated with post organizational restructuring, business transformation and shifting roles and responsibilities. This position is an integral part of the Regional Management Team [comprised of the Directors and District Managers of the Region] and reports directly to the Regional Executive Director.
Qualifications for this role include:
• A degree in resource management or related studies, and a minimum of 7 years of experience in resource management; or the equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Experience in a management capacity dealing with politically sensitive and provincially significant issues and with developing policy, procedures and corporate practices.
• Preferably 2 years’ experience in a senior management capacity including business and organizational planning.
• Preference may be given to experience related to First Nation consultation and relationship building.
• Experience leading and coaching diverse teams is preferred.
• Must have a valid Class 5 BC driver's licence.
• Travel is a job requirement.