Are you interested in impacting the direction of the government’s Provincial Broadband and Cellular Action Plan? Are you an inclusive senior leader who is driven by innovation and is confident in leading large-scale transformation, policy, strategy development and program delivery? Do you want to contribute to improving and expanding broadband and cellular access across the province to connect unserved and underserved communities during COVID-19 and beyond?
If so, consider this unique opportunity with the Ministry of Infrastructure, in delivering on an impactful mandate, to provide all Ontario citizens with reliable high-speed internet and cellular connections whenever they need it.
As the Assistant Deputy Minister, Broadband Strategy Division, you will be responsible for the current broadband strategy development and program delivery, and will lead the development and implementation of a long-term strategy to operationalize a potential investment of nearly $4 billion to further broadband connectivity across the province. You will also position the division both strategically and tactically in the evolving broadband and digital connectivity paradigm, as well as ensure funds are aligned with the long-term economic and social benefit of the Province.
An effective leader in the Ontario Public Service (OPS) is responsible, innovative and collaborative. A responsible leader demonstrates authenticity, accountability and courage in how they interact with others. An innovative leader leads with common purpose, embraces positive disruption, and has a future mindset. A collaborative leader focuses on helping others to grow, drives people-centred outcomes and promotes an environment of inclusivity; this leader works to confront bias and systemic barriers while understanding the importance of creating a more diverse and accessible workplace.
Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility and Anti-Racism
The OPS is an innovative, responsive, and accountable public service that works hard to be diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, merit-based, and equitable. Diversifying leadership teams is a top OPS priority, with the goal to achieve parity with the Ontario labour force by 2025 for the most underrepresented groups (Indigenous, racialized and persons with disabilities) in leadership positions. To advance this goal, the OPS is collecting socio-demographic information that will help to address potential barriers and achieve equity in hiring.
The OPS is an accessible employer and offers accommodation in all aspects of employment, including the recruitment process.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this critical role, your key accountabilities will be to:
• Provide senior executive leadership, priority setting and overall technical, operational and strategic direction for the management of broadband policy and programs.
• Provide enterprise-wide functional responsibility for the government’s broadband policy, strategy development and program delivery.
• Ensure that the ministry’s broadband program is planned and delivered in a manner that is aligned with the government’s priorities as well as division and ministry business objectives.
• Provide technical and strategic advice to senior executives, political staff and the Minister, and manage relationships with a wide range of internal and external partners and stakeholders, such as telecommunications providers, the federal government, municipalities and the ministry’s agency Infrastructure Ontario.
• Lead the development of strategies, policies, procedures, standards and guidelines to support broadband deployment across the province, including those that support broadband deployment through different procurement models and through different delivery agents.
• Champion transformation and change management projects that build organizational capacity and support the implementation of division, ministry and government priorities.
How do I qualify?
Executive and Inclusive Leadership
• You are a proven, inspiring and inclusive senior executive with a background in business transformation, developing strategic direction and championing best delivery models and practices within an evolving and complex environment.
• You have experience as an executive in leading multi-functional teams of senior managers and professional staff to deliver results in a dynamic organizational environment.
• You have relentless focus and passion for improving the customer experience and achieving better digital connectivity outcomes for people.
• You are a courageous and authentic executive leader who inspires and engages teams to bring their whole self to work and values diverse and divergent opinions.
• You have knowledge of, and are comfortable addressing, systemic barriers and racism.
Policy, Program and Change Management Expertise
• You have senior leadership experience in conceptualizing strategic opportunities, defining and shaping broadband and cellular priorities, providing strategic advice and direction, and utilizing decision-making processes to drive change and manage major issues and risks.
• You have delivered and deployed new modern technology in the broadband and digital connectivity space, and are aware of what is new and upcoming for broadband and cellular solutions.
• You have demonstrated experience leading complex organizational transformation, modernization and large change management initiatives.
• You encourage and promote innovation, bringing creativity and leading-edge ideas to the ministry.
• You have experience leading policy development and have a user-centred design approach, developing and maintaining agile and iterative processes in pursuit of client-focused programs.
• You have project management skills and have demonstrated experience leading large-scale projects at the executive level.
Strategic Communications, Political Acuity and Relationship Management
• You have evidence of superior communication and executive briefing skills to effectively provide strategic advice to Ministers, Deputy Ministers and other senior executives.
• You have strong diplomacy skills and work collaboratively, fairly, openly, assertively and constructively with senior officials, staff and stakeholders to resolve issues and generate consensus.
• You will use your analytical, political acuity and negotiation skills to interpret and convert broadband transformation into deliverable action plans.
• You are a sophisticated communicator with superior public relations skills to represent government and lead stakeholder, team and public engagements.
• You possess superior relationship-building skills to develop and sustain effective partnerships with a broad spectrum of internal and external stakeholder groups, including service providers, other divisions, ministries and governments.