Are you a seasoned executive who is passionate about delivering services to the organization and the people of Ontario? Do you have leadership experience in operational service delivery? If so, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) within the Ministry of the Solicitor General has a dynamic and unique opportunity for you!
As the Bureau Commander within the Business Management Bureau (BMB), you will provide corporate strategic leadership and direction to the BMB while leading the Ontario Provincial Police business, finance, facilities, operational policy, research and program evaluation and resource planning, and asset management services.
Business Management Bureau (BMB)
Business Management Bureau holds itself accountable to providing high-quality service to our clients and stakeholders while managing critical business functions for the organization. BMB impacts every aspect of the OPP’s operations while considering the factors of timeliness, competence, fairness, and outcome, when measuring the quality of our service delivery.
The BMB delivers services through the following specialty areas:
• Financial Services
• Planning and Analysis
• OPP Facilities
Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility and Anti-Racism
The OPS is an innovative, responsive, and accountable public service that works hard to be diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, merit-based, and equitable. Diversifying leadership teams is a top OPS priority, with the goal to achieve parity with the Ontario labour force by 2025 for the most underrepresented groups (Indigenous, racialized and persons with disabilities) in leadership positions. To advance this goal, the OPS is collecting socio-demographic information that will help to address potential barriers and achieve equity in hiring.
You are invited to complete the voluntary survey and contribute to building a more diverse, inclusive and accessible OPS. If you have completed the survey since September 28th, 2020, you do not need to complete it again unless you would like to change your responses or consent.
The OPS is an accessible employer and offers accommodation in all aspects of employment, including the recruitment process.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advancing racial equity, diversity and inclusion.
An effective leader in the Ontario Public Service (OPS) is responsible, innovative and collaborative. A responsible leader demonstrates authenticity, accountability and courage in how they interact with others. An innovative leader leads with common purpose, embraces positive disruption, and has a future mindset. A collaborative leader focuses on helping others to grow, drives people-centred outcomes and promotes an environment of inclusivity; this leader works to confront bias and systemic barriers while understanding the importance of creating a more diverse and accessible workplace.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As the Bureau Commander, reporting to the Provincial Commander, you will:
• Provide leadership in the development and administration of effective programs to ensure resources are available to address OPP initiatives and priority requirements.
• Provide expert advice and guidance to the division’s senior executives on business and financial planning issues.
• Promote and foster a culture of innovation, customer service, ethics and integrity in line with the OPP Mission, Vision and Values.
• Direct the division’s annual internal and external business plans and resource allocation processes.
• Provide leadership in the implementation of complex capital projects across the OPP and in the support and delivery of research and program evaluation.
• Build and foster relationships with stakeholder groups to facilitate the timely exchange of information (e.g., labour groups, vendors, policing sector partners, stakeholders).
How do I qualify?
• You have experience leading and motivating high-performing and diverse teams in a high-paced and demanding environment.
• You are an effective communicator, negotiator and consensus builder, and are able to work collaboratively with various stakeholders and clients.
• You model ethical and principled behaviour, act with authenticity and accountability, inspire, and confront bias and system barriers to support and foster a collaborative and high-performance work culture.
• You are an inclusive leader who values and creates a culture of diversity, inclusion, respect and equity in the workplace.
Relationship Management and Stakeholder Relations
• You have created and fostered relationships with colleagues and partners across government and external partners to leverage and promote information sharing, best practices and lessons learned.
• You have experience bridging varying cross-functional interests and opinions, and can resolve differences between internal and external partners and stakeholders.
• You maintain open lines of communication that sustain positive and productive relationships.
• You have experience and knowledge in overseeing major initiatives and large organizational projects that would normally relate to the implementation and management of specific strategies.
• You have experience working in a broad-scope environment with multiple areas of expertise.
Political Acuity and Communication
• You have excellent political acuity and judgment to anticipate, and respond to, politically sensitive situations.
• You have the ability to recognize, and respond to, issues which may have implications for the Commissioner, te Deputy Minister and the Minister.
• You have flexibility and resilience to adapt in a changing environment.
• You can identify shifts, trends and opportunities to improve how business is done with internal and external stakeholders.
• The OPS uses multiple methods to assess candidates for executive positions; these may include resume screening, interviews, assignments, psychometric assessments, simulations and reference checks.
I acknowledge that there is a voluntary survey to complete as part of this competition and that, if I choose not to participate in this survey, this will not impact my participation in the competition process.
Salary: $130,930 - $171,620 Per Year
Duration: 1 Permanent