Do you have the interest and skills to analyse and design tax legislative and regulatory initiatives? If so, a challenging opportunity exists in the Personal Income and Payroll Tax Design Unit with the Ministry of Finance where you will be a member of the personal income tax design team to provide policy, technical and legislative advice on aspects of personal income tax and benefit programs.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- work closely with others to prepare briefing materials that present research, analysis, policy and legislative design options and recommendations
- actively participate in the decision-making process
- draft legal specifications for changes to personal income tax and benefit programs required to implement policy decisions
- monitor the preparation of tax legislation or regulations
- work with administrators to implement tax legislative or regulatory changes
- establish and maintain effective working relationships within the ministry, with other ministries, the private sector, the federal government and other jurisdictions
How do I qualify?
You have knowledge of, or experience in/with:
- taxation, economics, law, accounting or a related discipline
- the legislative process in Ontario
Research and Analytical Skills:
You have skills to:
- research income tax case law
- analyse legislation, regulations and administrative documents
- develop policy and design options and identify issues based on your research and knowledge
Communication, Interpersonal and Project Management Skills:
You have skills to:
- brief senior management on technical personal income tax and other issues
- write briefing material and correspondence on complex issues for technical and non-technical audiences
- liaise with tax administrators and ministry legal counsel to ensure policy decisions are accurately reflected in legislation or regulations and in the administration programs
- develop and maintain important contacts in the public and private sectors
- lead or participate in projects on an inter-branch, inter-division, inter-ministerial and inter-government basis
- meet deadlines and manage multiple complex issues
Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills:
- You can identify emerging issues and develop solutions
- You have experience developing tax design options and recommendations
- You have proven research skills and knowledge of principles and methodologies of economic and statistical analysis
- You are proficient with computer applications for word processing, spreadsheets, and databases to prepare briefing materials, support research and policy/program development
Salary Range: $78,225 - $113,697 per year
• 1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months, 7 Queens Park Cr, Toronto, Toronto Region
• Less qualified applicants may be considered on an underfill basis.