Are you an established executive interested in leading the development, implementation, enhancement and oversight of emergency management planning and programming in Ontario? If so, the Ministry of the Solicitor General (SolGen) is looking for a seasoned leader to support the legislative mandate outlined in the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act.
The successful candidate will provide executive leadership and strategic direction in the development and implementation of emergency management policy, delivery, operations and program planning, as well as champion the new Provincial Emergency Response Plan. You will also ensure coordinated and effective oversight of legislation, regulations and standards, as well as emergency planning, prevention, response and recovery strategies to maximize the safety and security of Ontarians.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As the Chief of Emergency Management, you will:
• Provide executive leadership and strategic direction in the development and implementation of emergency management policy, procedures and program planning.
• Ensure the appropriate administration and oversight of relevant legislation, regulations, policies/procedures, and programs with respect to emergency management, maximizing the safety and security of Ontario’s diverse communities for its citizens.
• Develop and implement innovative frameworks and approaches for building and maintaining strategic stakeholder relations and expectations with a range of stakeholders including key municipal, provincial, federal, indigenous, and industry stakeholders.
• Act as principal advisor to the Deputy Solicitor General, Community Safety as well as other Deputy Ministers across government and senior executives relating to emergencies in Ontario, emergency planning and management of policy and issues impacting public safety throughout the province and contribute to the development of the Ministry’s vision, strategies and corporate objectives
• Ensure 24-hour operation of the Provincial Emergency Operations Centre (PEOC) and enhanced monitoring of events, issues and emergencies.
• Lead support and promote a productive team environment which reflects a people focussed, inclusive, diverse and accessible work place.
How do I qualify?
Executive and Transformational Leadership
• You have demonstrated senior leadership experience in corporate and operational settings.
• You are a skilled influencer and have experience building strong relationships.
• You have demonstrated experience leading organizational transformation, modernization and change management initiatives.
• You can lead, motivate and engage staff to work collaboratively to achieve challenging goals in a politically sensitive and high-profile environment.
• You have success in building an organizational culture based on trusting relationships, staff empowerment and recognition.
Relationship Management and Communications
• You have demonstrated experience collaborating with existing partners and developing relationships with new internal and external stakeholders.
• You are an innovative and strategic problem solver with a passion for improving programs and services.
• You are a sophisticated communicator and decision maker that can effectively provide strategic advice and informed recommendations on high profile issues and work across the organization with other senior leaders to achieve results.
• You have the proven ability to manage multiple stakeholders in highly urgent and sensitive situations and are comfortable operating in a high-impact environment requiring swift movement
• You have excellent diplomacy skills and can deal fairly, frankly, assertively and constructively with senior officials and stakeholders to resolve highly contentious issues.
• You are politically astute and have superior communication and problem-solving skills.
• You understand government decision-making processes, accountability and policy development in a large multi-stakeholder environment, such as Ontario.
• You have strong analytical skills and business acumen.
• You have participated in and contributed to complex inter-ministerial and inter-jurisdictional projects and initiatives.
• You have expert knowledge of emergency management services and safety legislation, policy, regulations, standards, current technology and best practices.
Salary: $164,910.00 - $211,910.00 per year
• General Level Employment Screening Checks required
• Interviews to be held the week of January 6