Location: 400 University Ave, Toronto
Job Term: Permanent
Job Code: Executive 3 ($164,910 - $211,910 per year)
Are you a passionate leader interested in delivering public services through a large, complex, province-wide operations division? Consider an opportunity where you will have direct impact on the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development’s mission to advance safe, fair and harmonious workplace practices that are essential to the social and economic well-being of the people of Ontario.
The Operations Division is looking for an Assistant Deputy Minister who can deliver on this mission by delivering programs and services specific to Occupational Health and Safety, Employment Practices and Job Protection and is committed to innovative, progressive compliance approaches in pursuit of improved occupational health and safety and fair employment practices in Ontario’s workplaces.
The Ministry has promoted safe, fair and harmonious workplaces since 1919. The ministry's mandate is to set, communicate and enforce workplace standards while encouraging greater workplace self-reliance. The Ministry has also recently expanded to include responsibility for skilled trades, apprenticeship, and Employment Ontario Programs.
What are we looking for in our leader?
As Assistant Deputy Minister, Operations Division, you will provide leadership and overall strategic direction in the planning and management of program policies and delivery in two of the Ministry's
lines of business: Occupational Health and Safety and Employment Rights and Responsibilities.
The position is also responsible for the development and maintenance of strategic partnerships with the Chief Prevention Officer, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) and external key stakeholders to achieve the Ministry's goals of improving system workplace health and safety through inspection, enforcement and prevention; ensuring compliance and transforming the province's Occupational Health and Safety system.
We are seeking an innovative leader who can engage the division, communicate the strategic direction and deliver operational results within a regulatory environment. You will provide dynamic leadership, respond to key trends in the sector, manage complex stakeholder relationships and develop collaborative partnerships within government and with external stakeholders.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Some highlights of the Assistant Deputy Minister of Operations’ responsibilities are:
• Protecting workers’ health and safety and supporting the ministry’s prevention capacity
• Leading a review of Ontario’s system of employment and labour standards and work with other ministries to consider reforms that reflect the realities of the modern economy
• Supporting actions that will support labour and employment law reforms with a goal to continue the protection of workers while supporting business in today’s evolving economy
• Working with other ministries to better protect migrant workers in Ontario and strengthen the protection for the most vulnerable workers in our province
How do I qualify?
• You have a demonstrated experience promoting innovation, achieving continuous improvement and driving transformation in response to changing priorities, while fostering a high-performance workplace that promotes inclusion and diversity
• You have an established track-record developing and leading a high performing organization including developing a shared vision, establishing business planning processes and performance measures to achieve organizational goals
• You have executive experience establishing and leading senior management teams delivering outstanding results in a customer-facing organizational environment
Operational Leadership and Change Management:
• You have executive experience leading and engaging people in a large field operations and geographically dispersed organization to achieve business goals
• You have knowledge of government operations and are familiar with regulatory legislation and programs
• You have experience in change management, innovating and promoting improved program delivery and delivery of exceptional service
Relationship Management and Communication:
• You are an influential communicator and can represent the ministry with various audiences in public settings
• You have relationship building and negotiation skills to establish and sustain effective partnerships with a wide range of diverse partners and stakeholders
• You have proven political acuity and ability to manage complex issues within an organization with high public profile and scrutiny
• You are a client-focused senior executive who cultivates positive relationships, identifies opportunities and builds commitment and consensus