Two (2) career opportunities with the Department of Community and Government Services (CGS)
Are you an experienced project management professional looking to advance your career? Look no more. Here’s an exciting opportunity to do so, with the Government of Nunavut (GN).
Reporting to the Assistant Deputy Minister – Infrastructure, you will plan and execute the Department’s asset management and project management policies and procedures in support of the effective, efficient delivery of programs and services at the regional level. As Regional Director of Infrastructure, you will be a member of the CGS Senior Management team and, as such, lead and manage all asset management and project management activities within your region. Among other responsibilities, you’ll be called upon to:
• monitor and support CGS capital and asset management programs, including facility planning, capital planning, project management and asset management services;
• provide oversight to ensure client needs are well-managed and CGS program objectives are being met;
• provide support, as requested, in the resolution of asset-related contract disputes;
• manage staff within the Infrastructure Division by reviewing workloads and assigning tasks, goals and objectives to staff to support GN, Departmental and Divisional strategic objectives and performance plans;
• direct program delivery and asset management consistent with legislation, policy and standards; and
• participate in recruitment, employee retention initiatives, succession planning, vacancy management initiatives and grievance response, consistent with the collective agreement.
Positions are available in Rankin Inlet (1) and Cambridge Bay (1), Nunavut. Please specify in your cover letter your location preference(s).
Your profile as a qualified Regional Director, Infrastructure will include the following highlights:
• A recognized degree in Architecture or Engineering, or a related discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution.
• A Project Management Professional (PMP) designation, with membership in an appropriate professional association (PMI or equivalent).
• Experience in:
o leading, managing and directing employees;
o project delivery;
o managing project work in Northern jurisdictions;
o managing consultant and construction contracts;
o conflict or dispute resolution process.
• Ten (10) years of project management experience on medium-to-large commercial and/or institutional building projects, with exposure to, and participation in, all aspects of planning, designs, construction and delivery, including at least five (5) years in the role of prime consultant or project lead responsible for coordinating the input and delivery of multi-disciplinary teams.
• Seven (7) years of managerial experience.
Equivalencies that consist of an acceptable combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Fluency in Inuktut.
• Knowledge of the Inuit language, communities, culture and land, and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit.
• A Professional Engineer or Professional Architect designation, with membership in an appropriate professional association.
• This is a Position of Trust and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check is required.
Compensation & benefits: These positions are not included in the Nunavut Employees Union and offer a salary range of $111,566 to $159,380 per annum (for 37.5 hours/week), plus a Northern Allowance of $18,517 to $19,716 per annum (depending on location). Note: Subsidized staff housing is available.
Stepping forward together
With one of the fastest growing and youngest populations in Canada, Nunavut is a dynamic, vibrant territory, committed to becoming an even better place for future generations. As a government, we are strengthening our unique model of governance – one that integrates Inuit societal values, promotes use of the Inuit language, achieves a representative public service, engages with circumpolar neighbours, and collaborates with partners to achieve the promise of Nunavut. As an employer, we’re enhancing local education and training initiatives while continuing to provide exciting career opportunities in a unique environment. Join us as we step forward together.