Over 12 million vehicles and 9 million licensed drivers.
An unparalleled explosion of technology change and a population that is diverse with shifting needs and service expectations.
In Ontario, road safety is a priority for our government and the Ministry of Transportation and its Road User Safety Division are the driving forces behind Ontario’s outstanding record and reputation as one of the safest places to drive in the world.
By working alongside external partners and the public in promoting safe driving behaviour, regulating driver examination services and vehicle inspection, as well as preventing driver and vehicle fraud, the next generation of drivers in Ontario have a safe, cost-efficient and effective foundation to move, live, work and grow.
The Ministry is looking to hire three agile and flexible Directors that will work within a large, geographically-dispersed organization and move through the division to integrate, modernize and transform the public service’s relationship with drivers and service providers in Ontario. Our goal is to continue to be a Centre of Excellence for road safety while enhancing public trust and service delivery partnerships across Ontario.
What can I expect to do in this role?
We are looking for passionate leaders who will work with staff across the province to drive change within the Ministry of Transportation and its service delivery partnerships towards a model that co-designs and co-creates products and services for the every-day user: drivers, cyclists, and commercial vehicle operators.
As one of the Directors reporting to the Assistant Deputy Minister of the Road User Safety Division, you will:
• Impact the movement of people, goods and services on roads across Ontario
• Ensure the safety and wellbeing of Ontarians by building relationships with sound, user-centered service delivery partners that tackle unsafe driving practices and vehicle fraud, as well as licensing of cars and trucks
• Contribute to the revolutionary development and implementation of policies and programs that will bring autonomous vehicles to Ontario while eliminating accidents, death and injury
• Make driving in Ontario easier, safer, faster and more efficient, but you will also uphold the public’s trust in ensuring that commercial motor vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists are given the very same space and safety to move, travel and grow
• Direct the research, development and marketing of policy, business and revenue opportunities and products
How do I qualify?
• You are an agile, flexible and adaptable leader that is willing and capable of moving through the division in support of a shared vision
• You make a difference in the lives of your staff and clients by inspiring and championing them to work across the OPS boundaries
• You are open and transparent and can empower and engage staff to promote progress and deliver the best results
• You are an inclusive leader with highly developed political acuity and judgement
Change Management and Transformation
• You challenge the status quo and address positive disruptors in order to continuously improve products and services with the user in mind
• You develop and implement new and innovative business systems, develop smart regulations, reduce red tape, and establish performance measures that successfully deliver services and operations to the public
• You use data and analytics to support informed risk-taking and the development of new and innovative services, processes and user-experiences
Relationship and Stakeholder Management Skills
• You collaborate, build networks and involve diverse and underrepresented perspectives in order to understand issues and achieve the best possible outcomes
• You develop relationships across the OPS, broader public sector, and with partners and stakeholders that have a direct impact on the programs and services you deliver
• You negotiate on key issues to identify solutions that address the needs of the client, customer and user while considering the inter-jurisdictional and regional impact of the decisions you make
Program and Operations Expertise
• You have experience leading within an operational and client centric environment with a focus on developing operational policies related to program delivery
• You have superior analytical skills to monitor, analyze and assess a broad range of issues and provide timely, proactive direction to creatively solve complex problems
• You have demonstrated skills to quickly understand Ontario's transportation sector, including key programs, issues, trends, regulatory compliance and government priorities
• You have demonstrated experience with the implementation of business integrity strategies program planning/ development and revitalization in a functional service delivery framework
Location: 87 Sir William Hearst Ave., Toronto, ON
Salary: $130,930 - $164,930 per year
Duration: 3 temporary positions of up to 3 years
Interview dates: The week of June 24, 2019