The Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport seeks a highly motivated and innovative communications executive to lead a team of management and creative professionals, who will work collaboratively with leaders across the ministry to tell the story of our impact in communities.
As the Director, Communications Branch, your role is to provide leadership and direction for the planning and delivery of the ministry’s integrated communications framework and activities, including digital communications, issues management, publications and marketing initiatives, media and stakeholder relations, graphic design, writing services, and event planning.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this key executive leadership role, you will be responsible for:
• Developing and implementing communications frameworks and strategies that effectively promote/create public awareness of the ministry’s initiatives, services and programs
• Collecting and evaluating research and identifying insights that will influence both policy and program delivery and communications approaches
• Oversee social media channels and develop a strategy with the right mix of active marketing and reactive audience relations
• Working with counterparts in policy, program, operations and legal services to deliver on the ministry’s mandate
• Providing strategic advice to the Deputy Minister and senior executives on branding and communication strategies, including how they align with broader government objectives
• Representing the ministry in communications and issues management planning with key stakeholders and other Ontario Public Service (OPS) ministries
• Fostering and promoting a culture of communications excellence across the ministry
• Working closely with Minister’s Office staff and Cabinet Office colleagues
How do I qualify?
• You have experience in leading and mentoring high performing teams to deliver results in a high-profile communications environment
• You have demonstrated political acuity and an ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external partners and stakeholders
• You are an agile professional and have a track record of presenting to senior leadership and achieving consensus on plans and priorities
• You have a proven track record leading strategic communications, including working with senior management to set objectives and execute tactics
• You have led effective public communication/education/awareness programs with measurable results
• You have experience in analyzing research in the development of evidence-based plans
• You have experience with the design and development of digital communication strategies on social media platforms
• You have current knowledge of strategic communications theories, techniques and planning methods
Issues Management and Media Relations:
• You have experience in identifying potential organizational risks in advance and developing plans to remove or mitigate those risks
• You have experience in managing incidents that pose a physical or reputational risk
• You have training and experience in the fundamentals of media relations
Marketing and Advertising:
• You have executed marketing plans and have knowledge and experience in advertising and media buying
• You have developed strong media relationships and demonstrated the ability to proactively build and expand your network
• You have demonstrated stakeholder management expertise with internal and external clients and the ability to revitalize existing relationships
• You have experience in public relations, including event management, consultations and other forms of public engagement
• Interviews will be held the week of June 11